> expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday 30 November 2013

REALITY CHECK #7 - APPRECIATION

By PHILLIPS OLAYANJU


“The economy is damn too bad. Everything is cost. Na wa Oooooooooo”
This is the line I hear everywhere every day. The line I once whined. Everything was topsy- turvy...life was an ebb and flow...nothing seemed constant...my life was oscillating and vacillating and guess who I blamed it on? The economy! I mean I was trying everything to make ends meet and nothing just seemed to work right. I soon discovered the benefit of appreciation and my life never remained the same. I got something worth a million dollar and I’m going to give you just a little out of my money. (Can’t spare much, the economy is bad).

It has been rightly said and proven that a negative personality and attitude attracts negative people and in turn, negative things. Ever woken up one morning and you feel the world’s burden on you? You keep grumbling and complaining, muttering, enraged by your debtors, rushing out of the house with a stone-hard face hoping to make some money and eventually, you make nothing! How frustrating?! You see, you aren’t just losing money; you are losing the joy given to you by the force behind the universe. 

We all know that towards the end of the year, everything including some people’s life and finance comes to a halt. You ask me, where is the joy in it and I’ll tell you: “The joy is the pride of seeing another economic meltdown”. Weird huh? 

Between the beginning of the year and today, you really don’t want to know the fate of those who looked better off than you but are nowhere to be found today. For every situation we complain about, there’s a person complaining of something worse and for every situation that person is complaining of there’s a worse one and so on.

It’s left to us to either keep complaining about our unproductive situation or to see the silver lining in every cloud and become productive. 

Note: “No matter how much you complain, it wouldn’t change your circumstance. Rather, be grateful that you are hale enough to turn things around.”


As we said in our last series, your approach to problems determines the product of your effort. Someone once said that if you can’t appreciate nature, you can’t appreciate others and if you can’t appreciate others, you can’t appreciate yourself.
Happy Thanksgiving.                                                                                             

Phillips Olayanju

No comments: