> expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday 26 November 2013

REALITY CHECK #4 - COMMITMENTS





I don't know how come, but yes I'm as busy as a bee. My life is overfull with activities, obligations, and responsibilities that I chose and didn't choose. Let me give you a quick run down of the major ones:

  1. NYSC PPA that takes time as traveling to Lagos from Ibadan to get there
  2. NYSC special CDS
  3. Two service units in Church
  4. Blogging
  5. MAD network
  6. Tutoring
  7. ODC
  8. Handmade fashion products
  9. Running errands and house chores
  10. Caring for four little children who happened upon us suddenly. (Don't ask how)


They are TEN in number. Okay! Those last two points I tell you, are the most gruesome. This is the part I'm glad I don't have a BF who gets angry that I've not called since I woke this morning or one that wants me to talk with him first thing in the morning, Yaay! Oops! Did I just make romantic relationships sound like a burden? My bad

How can one person have these activities happen every week? Hey! There are a lot more people who have much more on their plate anyways. Did I say I chose some and I didn't choose some? Yes I did, but no that's not true. I chose it all, I chose to respond to all and make myself available. Spreading myself thin and less effective. If I concentrated my attention and efforts to a fewer things, wouldn't my impact be felt better? How far do we go multitasking on a broad spectrum of mental and physical commitment? I end up stressed every night and wake up to the reminders of the stress the new day would bring. Everyone in the different areas of my commitment want my 100%. They'd always do, through their unilateral view of my life, I probably have nothing else doing.

Today I finally put number 6 commitment to an end. No, not abruptly, I gave them an advance notice, that I wouldn't be doing this anymore that I had to choose, that I have the choice, but I'd make my choice easy for them to bear with and maintain good relations with them. This was one activity I persevered at despite setbacks, inconveniences and overwhelming everyday stress.

No matter the sense of self development we may think we would get from the bodily sacrifices of being workaholics,
I stand to say the world has practically moved from just hard work to a lot of smart work. You choose what you commit to. Please be clear of sentimental judgement when deciding to commit to anything at all.

On a lighter note, when it comes to romantic relationships I think guys are commitmentophobic.


Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 photo 4

No comments: