> expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday 16 February 2014

THIS VAL: SUNDAY EVENING BREAK UP (SHORT STORY)

[Source]
They answered my questions in turn and out of turn as I held out the worn out cane in my hand indicating my seriousness in writhing the truth out of the both of them. They confessed, their eyes wide with so much fright I just couldn’t pity them at this point, this was no time for motherly compassion, and the only compassion I had this time was for knowing how far these kids had gone physically.

“So when was the first time?! Tell me” I couldn’t help my voice being raised.

Their responses came in shaky and frightened tones, they were telling the truth now, I could tell it wasn’t just the fear speaking. They weren’t that smart to continue with the chain of lies, they had gotten to the learned helplessness stage. Sure, they can’t continue with my interrogation skills, maybe I should consider a career in investigation, with the Police, at least.
Laide was smarter at answering about time and place orientation, while the past was still always yesterday to mr. William I was too bothered to be irritated by that.

“So, you guys have been doing this for months now abi?” I asked for reaffirmation and they gave me, Laide also confessed and affirmed to being the initiator every time

“My God! You guys are just five year olds, why would you even know about kissing at this age?!" I dropped my weight on the couch, my palms holding my temples.

I never saw them kiss, but every time I saw the way Laide looked into William's eyes like she was mesmerized and had probably lost her senses to physical intimacy, the way they said goodbye unnerved me a little as they acted like lovers, I suspected and was going to find out what was up, one way, anyway.

Now that everything was out, I had to do something about. This Laide girl was getting beyond control polluting William for me. No more!

“Mummy William, I’m back o” Alice called from the parking lot downstairs, I must have been too carried away to hear her drive in.

“Okay” I got to the balcony to answer my neighbour who I gave money to help me buy some chicken and other stuff at Shop Rite on her way back from visiting after church so I get to save my fuel.

“Alright, thanks dear, I’d come get them now before you lock up your car” She was too lazy not to announce the situation to the whole building it would be wise not to indulge her further.

“William follow me” We wore our slippers and hurried downstairs, Alice had gone into her apartment her arms around grocery bags, but she left the boot open for me.

“You are going to tell Laide to stay away from you, not to touch you or play with you in any way anymore. Am I understood?”  I demanded with my voice lowered and he nodded profusely agreeing with everything I would say just to save his life.

We headed back to our apartment. I told him to drop all the bags on the kitchen slab and we went to the living room where Laide had curled into a ball on the couch she was closest to before we left for downstairs. He went closer to her and started, I didn’t even expect it.

“Stay away. from me. Don’t do. husband and wife. with me again. Don’t come close. to me again” He truncated his speech, shaking his index finger at her like he was reciting a script he had learned by heart for a school play. I was amused and unsatisfied at the same time, he hadn’t said that he would not play with her anymore and she should do the same. I reminded him.

“Is that all?” I asked then he lowered his hand and gaped, looking into Laide’s confused and expectant eyes, he couldn’t make the sounds, he couldn’t make the words. But I didn’t care.

“William! That’s not all. What else are you to say?”

He started out again, he summoned courage this time “I will not play with you again, don’t play with me.”

William’s declarations were like arrows of pain shot at Laide's heart; she squeezed her lips tight and then repeated the same to William. I guess she was thinking he wasn’t going to be the only one doing the dumping, if he was going to break up with her, then she was going to break up with him too. I couldn’t believe what played before my eyes was between five year olds.

“Okay” I broke the moment where they took it in “Laide, I do not want to you here anymore, and both of you stop being friends from now on, do you understand? ”

“Yes ma.” She answered with angry determination. I was not bothered and continued.

“You have played enough for a lifetime, you can go home now.” I turned gesturing to lead her to the door. It was dusk, still bright enough for her to go home herself.

“Say hi to your mum” I said opening the door for her. 

Shutting it after her, I paused to take it all in.
I may think that William is the saint that he is not, but I don’t think I would be wrong to want to right what belongs to me. Let every woman build her own home abi?
                         
                                      ************************************
                                      ************************************
                                      ************************************
                                                 Please leave a comment.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmn!

Mjady said...

I guess hmmn! is a good one, thanks for dropping a comment and for reading too.

Anonymous said...

Can 5yr olds really do dt. D world is fast changing. But d mum should have tried explaining y its wrong to d kids instead of traumatizing them for life. Nice one tho. *bunkie*

Mjady said...

In this world of sex appeal, social media, gay rights and all, please take your mind off children not knowing a bit of these things. Thanks *bunkie* but which *bunkie*

Anonymous said...

Woah 5year olds my future sons and daughters are covered with the bloooooooood. LOL

We need to educate kids on these things and tell them the appropriate time for it as well as the circumstances. If not TV will teach them for us.

Nice one mjady

Mjady said...

LOL! Abi o, thanks a lot ZED, honored to have your comment here.