> expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday 26 April 2014

...IN THE MAKING (3)

He still had the face cap on, she had advised him to put it on if he really wanted to enjoy watching football on the street.  The match was over and even the analysis, he signalled that they should leave; she took a cue and stood from her seat. Walking towards the car with John Smith behind her, she felt a bit awkward. He didn’t get her door, so she settled in the passenger’s side as fast as she could immediately he got the doors unlocked like it was going to ease her somehow.

“So…” He broke the silence “I guess you…where are you headed now?”

Her brows furrowed. I don’t know, I came out here because of you


“Home I guess?” She shrugged

“Okay, where’s home?”

“Not too far from the dry cleaner’s, it’s off Dipeolu street.”

“Oh…”

“You don’t have to drop me, I can actually take a cab or something.” Her face was straight

“No? Like after I enjoyed a day I envisioned would be totally boring? I think I owe you that at least”

“Thanks”

“Thanks”

They both chuckled.

Soon they were in traffic, stuck in it in fact. The traffic lights and wardens weren’t so friendly this hour of the day and in this part of the city. With almost every car around occupied with party returnees looking tired, ladies with worn out make up, middle aged women with hair pressed by the geles that had been removed from their heads, also loose ribbons tied to cars and swaying to the direction of the coming evening breeze. Obviously most of them were having conversation and gossip feed on the details of the event they just retired from.
Watching them was more relief from the awkwardness in the vehicle. They were really strangers, it kind of dawned on Lara, and everything felt surreal. She somehow expected camera men to pop out of their hiding places confirming that this was some show, but it didn’t happen soon. They were strangers and it felt really strange, celebrity or not. No matter how she wanted to feel familiar with him because she was used to seeing his face on TV, he was still a stranger and she thought he felt the same.
They finally got out of the hold up. They were now on Obafemi Awolowo Way, the only thing that made up for the silence between them was the stereo.

“Did you enjoy yourself?”

“Yeah I did, it is not every day you get to make a celeb stranger an acquaintance” She watched him smile “I’m not sure I envy you”

He chuckled “I understand, the attention comes with its perks and disadvantages.”

“Yes it does. Take the left turning”

“If I could trade, I’d be doing what you do instead”

“Really?! You think you can cope with what I face?”

“Yeah?”

“Here comes the ‘my father’s farm is the biggest’ syndrome again”

“What?” He laughed “What was that?”

“Yes naw, that egocentric perspective of using your yardstick to judge others”

“Okay, okay easy on the terms” He said his eyes fixed ahead.

Lara chuckled, as she pointed ahead directing John again

“Client Relationship Management is not easy o”

“The egocentric thing plagues us both right now dear”

“Yes, haha!” a subdued belch coincided with her laughter “That grey gate, that’s where I live”

“Really! You live in the gate? How?”

Her brows furrowed “Don’t be naughty, I live in the house behind the gate” She replied with a blank face.

“Ooh, that’s wonderful”

Lara shook her head ignoring the banter, as she unlocked the seat belt and putting her phone in her bag.

“Oh! Can I have your number? Very silly me”

Yaay! I thought you’d never ask. She did her victory dance in her head.

“Sure! I’d type it in your phone”

“Can I get a selfie with you too?” He asked again as the phone keyboard beeped

“Sure?” She said with a puzzled excitement.

“Yeah! I’m cool like that.” Clicks and flashes, they were done with a few selfies.

He had really lightened up in the course of their encounter. They alighted.

“So we’d talk, thanks for the company. It’s actually brighter outside the car for another selfie

“Are you serious? Ok, with my phone this time”

Lara was grateful there were really few passers-by since they parked in front of her gate and they were afar.

“Yeah!”

“No wonder, they rumoured selfies to be a psychological disorder because of John Smith”

“Very funny”

“Thanks all the same”

“You welcome. Bye”

She eased into her compound quickly, she didn’t want to watch him go; she could do away with that awkwardness for once. Iyke’s car was the last to be parked in the compound.
“They’re back.” I’m back too, to reality. She crosschecked the bags with her to be sure nothing was missing especially Sayo’s laundry. The front door was a bit stiff; she applied a bit of force and saw the way Sayo flinched startled on the sofa parallel to the front door.

“Why won’t you knock the door?!” She attacked

“You know you should not leave the front door unlocked”

Sayo didn’t look like she was in for an exchange,

“You won’t believe what happened to me today!” Lara was ready to give Sayo the full gist easing the laundry onto the sofa closest to her, and then she noticed Sayo’s countenance, she was a bit shaky.

“Sayo?!”

“Did you see Iyke on your way?”

“What happened?! Did he hit you?” pensive, she sat beside Sayo, searching her face and arms.

“No!” Sayo pulled away from Lara’s fussy embrace

“Why is there always something wrong every time you come back from any weekend at his place, ehn?”

“We just had a con…”

The front door forced open startling them both as they jerked, eyes on the door.

                                             
                                                  **************


                                                 ...IN THE MAKING (2)

No comments: