> expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday 12 April 2014

...IN THE MAKING (1)

She turned the page of the magazine grinning from ear to ear obviously amused by her exploration exercise. She loved knowing more about people, especially celebrities in the entertainment industry. That was the aim of the interviews by the media anyway. She stood up from her bed and headed for the bathroom, time for laying around was over. It was Saturday morning and she was not sure of what to do for the day but it was sure not being silly, the best way to avoid that was to prepare for something to happen.

Sometimes she really enjoyed her solitary moments; she smiled to herself again as she fantasized about meeting, becoming good friends with, achieving dreams, and may be getting married to a celebrity. She chuckled at that particular thought as water drizzled from the shower rose down her lathered back.

She heard her phone ring in the room, mopping water off her body and wrapping the towel round her
chest she felt the temperature drop as she opened the bathroom door. She had missed the call from her flatmate Sayo or was it a flash? She must have called to give reasons she would not be back tonight again. I don’t why she thinks she owes me explanations for her dirty weekends and she’s always making appointments only to stand me up in the end, I wonder who she’s deceiving, mschew. She glanced up from her phone to the mirror, there was lather on her shower cap, and she observed her fingernails as she went to the bathroom sink to rinse off the lather. Maybe a manicure, pedicure and a little touch up for my hair would be the activity for the day. It was not one of those periods she had money to brag with, but with her stressful regular weekdays, being nonchalant about her appearance was not a good idea. She got dressed. Her phone rang again as its screen light began blinking, the caller’s id was Sayo’s.

“What?!” in mock sharpness

“Is that how to say good morning in your village? Hope you got up from the right side of the bed”

“And hope you didn’t wet the bed last night” that’s a winning line her lips curling into a smug as she heard Sayo gasp a little at the other end.

“Lara! This early moh moh, only God would save you o
“When you started it nko? And what’s so early about 10 am?”

“Go away jare, is this your way of saying you miss me?”

Ta! You wish! See ehn, I’d so torment you for all these your weekends with Iyke and leaving me here every time”

“See? You miss me” Lara smiled as she heard her friend laugh “What are you up to today?” Sayo asks recovering from a hard laugh.

“Nothing much, I’d probably start at the salon I go to off Allen” settling on the mattress slowly folding one leg under the other.

“You never hesitate to take care of yourself sha

“Don’t sound like that, I’ve been carrying my hair for over two weeks now and I don’t even have money for a new hairdo, so I’d just do something to maintain this one”

“I hear you. I think I need a manicure myself, maybe I’d join you in about thirty minutes to an hour”

“What of Iyke? I’ve not heard his voice at the background”

“He’s in the bathroom, probably taking his bath.”

“Okay, I’m almost out the door, so don’t waste my time or try to stand me up this time around, it would not be funny”
“Yes ma”

“And tell Iyke to send something nice for me to eat or even pay for everything I’d be doing at the salon, so as to appease my anger or else…” Sayo laughed “I’m not joking”

“I’ve heard I will tell him. Okay bye bye”

“Bye” the call ended

*****

Three hours had passed. The hair dresser was spraying Lara’s hair with a hair spray, Lara’s phone buzzed, it was an SMS from Sayo. Mschew. It read

Sorry babes, Iyke whisked me off to an owambe. Plleeeaaaasssseeee help me pick my clothes 4rm dt drycleaner down dt str. D stupid pple close earlier on Saturdays n if I don’t pick up early they wld delay me so bad I’d prefer returning d next dy n I can’t. Wot I’m wearing to church is right there. I promise 2 mk all of ds up 2 u. 10x, mwah!

See this girl o, I’ve not even agreed to do it for her and she’s thanking me. Obvious bribe, I’d make her really pay for this. Next time she would think twice before sending me on any errand.
She thought concocting mischief.


When Lara was sure her coated nails were perfectly dry and she was satisfied with herself, she strolled up the drycleaner’s entrance about an hour after the message from her flat mate. She was told to wait by the receptionist after she made her intentions known. She took a seat in the direction the receptionist gestured, as she adjusted herself, her eyes drifted towards entrance again and she could not believe who she saw approaching it.


                                             Story, story, stoooorrry

No comments: