> expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 5 February 2014

THIS VAL: SUNDAY EVENING CONFESSION (SHORT STORY)

Still William had not come up with an answer, so I had to call on courage and speak up.
"We did not kiss!"
"You did not kiss" She said as if she meant to say 'Really?' and searching William's eyes, he affirmed my statement. But she continued
"But what about yesterday afternoon, why did you kiss her yesterday afternoon?"
William shuddered
Oh my God! How on earth did she find out?
                   

                                   *******************************
It started yesterday, we were at the balcony playing as usual, with the stuffed toys, the building blocks, when mommy said I should take my toys back in because they could easily fall off the balcony. I did, and after that we had only ourselves to play with, Laide and I.
We talked out of boredom as we sat on the bench with our back to the railings.
Laide suggested we play her Birthday Party, then along the way she said
"Let's say it's a wedding"
Like she always said anytime we were alone for sometime. We would sing Happy Birthday and dance as I swirled her holding her hand up, we would cut cake and dance again, till I could see the beautiful stars in her eyes and she would suggest,
"Let's say I'm your wife" coming closer, poking her lips, I would reciprocate.
That was the order. We had had the first round.
We had sung Happy Birthday and danced the first time in the second round. The sun baked loam in the polythene that had been there for months sitting in the flower pot was our wedding cake. I found a stick for knife to cut the cake with Laide and we serve ourselves the cake as we saw at wedding ceremonies, puffing our cheeks to demonstrate chewing, then I decided to serve our guests by pouring the remaining content of the little polythene down the balcony.

"William!" I heard mum call, I responded. Getting to the living room where I think her call came from, I do not find her but I was sure she did call. I return to Laide who is helping in serving the remaining guests who have not gotten cake, rice, whatever. Mum calls again.
She shut the door of her room behind her. She looked dressed to fetch something from around the street.

"Did I put that polythene bag on your head?" She asked me reaching for my ears as I ducked.

"Laide?!" She summoned as Laide scurried in "Why must you kids be destructive?" Like I know what destructive means, probably something bad. She headed for the kitchen got brooms, dust packer and ordered us downstairs.

"God saved you it did not touch Mr Godwin's car, if not you would have been in hot soup today." She inspected the  cemented parking lot Mr Godwin our neighbour had parked his car for anymore damage that we may have caused. "Oya! Start sweeping and pack all the sand you poured down at once"
Laide started sweeping with her little hands uncoordinated at the task. I was still better at sweeping.

"You! Follow me!" I quickly obeyed mommy as she walked out of the compound, reaching the next compound, she stopped to buy insecticide from the mallam's kiosk by its gate. She handed the polythene bag to me, take it upstairs when you are done sweeping and tell Laide to go home."

"Okay mum" As I turned to go

"Why did you kiss Laide?" I froze. She shot questions at me like that most times when she had caught me doing something wrong, but how did she see us? how did she know this time?
I gaped at her like I used to when I wasn't sure if the next thing I'd say would warrant giving me a slap as her eyes demanded my answer to her question.

"She was the one who said we should do wedding day, that we should do like husband and wife, then she did her mouth like this" I puckered my lips. I don't know what came over me making me confess it all, just like that. I couldn't even twist it a little.

"Oh, shut up!" With irritation in her eyes "Just get back and do as I said, when I return I would deal with you.
" She turned and left.

I caught a smirk on that mallam's face with the corner of my eye. I was less bothered about him, my legs just felt heavier than they had felt few seconds ago and I could hear my heart in my head, that meant TROUBLE.


                                               ******************************
                                                  Next : Sunday Evening Break Up
Photo credits

No comments: